Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Linguistics and Me >:-[

Well, I'm doing a course on Computational Linguistics these days. Of course, I had no other option ...otherwise linguistics and I!!!??? >:-| . So, lemme tell you what happens when someone who's too much into technical stuff and programming etc. goes to study linguistics.
...The first problem is the language problem. I have been so much involved on the technical side that now, I write in C and use mathematical expressions and don't care about language any more. But in linguistics you need to write proper hindi/english/french/russian/papago/...potato, tomato...what and what not. I didn't even know about the existance of so many languages. Moreover, I got to know that there are people in this world who have the time AND THE MIND to learn/analyse/disect/operate on them. Some of these are really pathetic. I don't have my assignment papers right now, otherwise I would have written a few examples. So, my first problem is that I'm hardly able to make any sense out of these. Then the second problem is the representation. I am a computer engineer and look at everything from the point of optimization. As a result I tend to write as less as possible and use mathematical symbols and/or abbreviations to present my answers. Now all this is greek and latin to my teacher. I had to do an assignment again today and even now she was not happy with my presentation. I am really really frustrated now. I told her that from now on I won't care about what linguistic representations are. I'll write a paragraph telling what my deductions are. Moreover, they want me to read. I tell them give me the code to read and the specs and I'll do the project. But they want me to read loads of theory inspite of my telling them that I HATE READING!!!
Anyway, who the f*ck wants to do linguistics!!!??? I'm happy enough with my profession. Now it's a matter of counting days. But this thing is getting on my nerves now, and I'm really losing patience. I just hope that these guys stop testing my patience and just do the damn f*cking course... coz if that line is crossed I'll bloody show them the finger and walk out!!!
...just holding on. Let's see.

--
EclipsE >:-]

No comments: